Logo Badisches Landesmuseum
 

Staufen Ceramics Museum

The history of the potter’s craft

The Staufen Ceramics Museum was opened in July 1991 as a branch museum of the Badisches Landesmuseum Karlsruhe. 
In the basement of the museum is the complete original workshop of pottery master Josef Maier, who worked here from 1898 till the 1940s. The visitor is provided with an insight into the pottery tradition of the Upper Rhine region, as well as into the everyday life of a potter. 


On the first floor the work of the ceramics artist Egon Bregger is shown. After his marriage to Emma, the daughter of Josef Maier, he took over the workshop in 1948. The presentation of Bregger’s ceramics shows his development from a Bauhaus style all the way to a historical pottery style. On the same floor a collection of ceramic figures by Elisabeth Winter-Bonn is presented.

On the ground floor, regularly changing special exhibits of the Badisches Landesmuseum are held as well as studio exhibits of contemporary potters.






Gallery





Opening hours and entrance fees