The southern Baden branch office of the Badisches Landesmuseum was moved from Freiburg to Staufen in 2005. Prior to that time, it was known as the state office of popular cultural history; it was established in 1960 as the state archive for studies of the Baden region. In 1983 it was formally linked to the Badisches Landesmuseum in Karlsruhe. The southern Baden branch office researches and documents sources of written and graphic works along with handling museum-related tasks.
The following are available to interested visitors:
- The specialist library on the cultural history of Baden (approx. 40,000 volumes; also catalogued in the library of the University of Freiburg)
- The image archive with approx. 300,000 images of Baden cultural and photographical history.
- The archive of print media with sources from regional culture.
- The film and video archive with topics on Baden popular history.
- The document archive of responses which communities in Baden submitted in 1894/95 about the survey on Baden folk culture.